Thursday, February 21, 2013

Finding Inspiration

Sorry folks, nothing new happening lately (well there is, but I can't talk about it yet).  We spent last weekend working on drywall at the cottage, yes, lot's of fun with a capital "F".  Seeing our progress has made me hopeful and excited about decorating the cottage.  So, as of late I've been searching for beach cottage inspiration.  Here are a few things I've pinned to my Cottage Decor Pinterest board.

It's hard finding ideas for small homes since most peoples' idea of a small house is 1,500 sq.ft. What I'm looking for are homes under 200 sq.ft. Yep, that's about the size of our cottage.  It takes a lot of creativity to figure out how to have all the comforts of home in such a small space.  I consider myself creative but not that creative - so I need to find ideas from others who've done it.  Tim's favorite blogs on this subject are  Tumbleweed Houses and Tiny House Blog.  I'm so impressed with what this designer has done with his 271 sq.ft apartment.

tiny apartment
Photo credits: Daniel LiCalzi
tiny apartment
Loft bed above the sofa, not shown in picture.


Although I like the design concepts and storage elements in Daniel's home, I prefer rustic cottage, simple style like the pictures below. Here's an adorable little kitchen space.
storage closet under loft
Photo credit: Koch Architects
Clever idea for built-in book shelves.
two bedrooms
Photo credit: Sullivan Building and Design Group
More clever storage ideas. Here's a reading nook with a fold-out bed.



A kitchen in a closet!!! Wow!

http://www.culshawbell.co.uk/completekitchenette.html



I think Tim would be happy with this.

the Y-knot


Ok, so the following is not for the cottage but I love this fantastic barn door headboard project from Ashley at Little Yellow Barn.



Unfortunately, I don't have a bedroom where I could have one...hmmm...unless...Nooo, I don't think Tim would let me convert his tool room into a rustic guest bedroom.  Out of the question.  Great project idea though and I'd love to do make it!

Well, that's enough inspiration for today.

1 comment:

  1. I love your style! The reading nook with the fold-out bed is genius. I love the small window – the effect is so clean and breezy! We are embarking on a house design project here at home in Pennsylvania, and I am starting to appreciate that I know what I like when I see it but am not always able to conjure it myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

    So, I think we must be VA neighbors. Our house is on the north end of Metompkin Bay.

    ReplyDelete

Send us a comment. We'd love to hear from you.