Thursday, February 14, 2013

Progress in the Craft Room

About a year or two ago - I can't remember, it's been so long - we started renovating what will eventually be my craft room.  We ripped out wall to wall wood paneling.  The entire room, including the ceiling was covered in wood paneling.  We then reinsulated and put up drywall.  What we thought would take a day or two has taken months.  Even with the help of friends, we still couldn't get it done quickly enough.  Thanks Jen B., Aaron M. and Matt F.!  We'll always be grateful for their help.  Drywall mudding and sanding is hard, messy work.  I hate it.


This is what my work space has been like for many, many months. Most days, it was not this tidy - hehe.

Over the past two weekends, I've made some real progress.  I mudded, sanded, mudded and sanded over again a few times to get it right; because we've done it wrong in so many other rooms, e.g. the kitchen, our bedroom and downstairs bathroom.  You get to a point where you're so tired of doing this that you just don't care how it turns out, you just want it DONE!

Work in progress, nook for the bed and storage.

Left wall.

 View as you're entering the room. 

I did have some help from Tim this past weekend. He too was busy with his own project - no, thankfully not the boats.  He worked on the 2nd floor bathroom, mudding, sanding and painting too (more on that later).  Since his project was smaller, he had a little bit of time to help me with the craft room. More importantly, he gave me the motivation I needed to push through. Finally, after months of drywall dust, the walls are done, primed and ready to paint!

My next problem is what color should I paint the room?  That's a fun problem to have, at least for me.  I'm leaning towards a blush pink because after all - it's my craft room :P.  I'm thinking of going with this pink, Martha Stewart's Ballet Slipper Pink - I'll have to test it out to see how it looks in the room.


Along with the pink walls, I want to paint some of the furniture pieces in Behr Chocolate Froth.  It's a beautiful gray brown which will compliment the pink nicely. I can't wait to see how everything will look when it's done. 

Behr Chocolate Froth
So beautiful, I love the color.
http://www.wayside-furniture.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=802441805&ItemNum=1514-46978

I'm hoping that Tim will install two long shelves above the daybed/storage area.  

Kind of like this one here (minus the toys...and kid...although that might come later...TBD).
http://www.dwell.com/house-tours/slideshow/almost-perfect#8
Or a floating shelf like this one: 
West Elm day bed
So many fun decisions to make! This is the part I enjoy most, choosing paint colors, furnishings and room accessories. For Valentine's Day, Tim is taking me to Home Depot AND Lowe's to pick up paint samples.  I'm such a lucky girl!!! 

Hearts and Hugs,
Lissette


1 comment:

Send us a comment. We'd love to hear from you.